Rip again!

  • From: Tom Sanders
  • Date: Sun Aug 21 12:13:42 2005

Hi,

There isnt IMO a way in RIP to identify the source of the RIP packet
(the way we have Router ID in OSPF, system ID in ISIS, etc.)

Now assume we have 2 vlans defined on an ethernet. Thus we would have
two IP interfaces, 1.1.1.1/24 and 2.2.2.2/24 and both using the same
physical interface. RIP is running on both these interfaces.

My doubt is that how will another router, which is configured in the
same way (2 vlans) be able to differentiate between the RIP responses
originated by 1.1.1.1 and 2.2.2.2?

Thanks,
Toms