Semi-on-topic: Light that travels faster than the speed of light?

  • From: Fergie (Paul Ferguson)
  • Date: Sat Aug 20 13:42:24 2005

Man, I knew I should've gotten in on the ground floor in
 any effort to speed up light -- someone's going to be
rich beyond their wildest dreams. :-)

(Thanks to a post over at Slashdot) the Science Blog
reports that:

[snip]

A team of researchers from the Ecole Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne (EPFL) has successfully demonstrated, for the first time, that it is possible to control the speed of light – both slowing it down and speeding it up – in an optical fiber, using off-the-shelf instrumentation in normal environmental conditions. Their results, to be published in the August 22 issue of Applied Physics Letters, could have implications that range from optical computing to the fiber-optic telecommunications industry.

[snip]

http://www.scienceblog.com/light.html

- ferg

--