Re: New N.Y. Law Targets Hidden Net LD Tolls

  • From: Todd Vierling
  • Date: Sat Aug 20 12:44:13 2005

On Sat, 20 Aug 2005, Robert Bonomi wrote:

> To use 1+ for "toll alerting", in locales where intra-NPA can be toll, and
> inter-NPA can be local, you have to incur one of those sets of increased
> expenses. And the 'inconveniences' to the customer.

Not really.  Billable status of a call is known up front in today's
all-digital NANPA coverage area (to my knowledge, the last mechanical and/or
electromechanical switch disappeared before 2002, and it was somewhere in
rural Quebec).  In fact, I ran into a telco recently in a 10D/1+10D dialing
area that -- only if the customer subscribed to the unlimited domestic LD
plan -- allowed dialing any US number without the leading 1 as simply 10D.

Conversely, some jurisdictions are very strict about use of the leading 1 to
indicate toll status thanks to localized court cases establishing that
"hidden" tolls are a Bad Thing.

--
-- Todd Vierling <tv@duh.org> <tv@pobox.com> <todd@vierling.name>