Re: zotob - blocking tcp/445

  • From: Joe Maimon
  • Date: Tue Aug 16 06:57:57 2005

Christopher L. Morrow wrote:
On Mon, 15 Aug 2005, surfer@mauigateway.com wrote:

NetBIOS was never meant to be a WAN protocol, so no problem
in blocking it.

rule #1: do not be the Internet's Firewall
rule #2: see rule #1

Surely we realize that this discussion is not concerning the oft repeated "Internet's Firewall" debate.

Its about containing a potential worm/virus outbreak. Call it a network wide quarantine.

The damages inflicted by worms/viruses in the past that we have all seen and are still coping with (C&C reports anyone?) are well known.

This is network self preservation. Otherwise the garbage will eventually suffocate us all.

Apples and oranges.