Re: zotob - blocking tcp/445

  • From: Gadi Evron
  • Date: Tue Aug 16 01:00:14 2005

[snip arguments]

Do not become the internet firewall for your large customer base... it's
bad.

Okay, so please allow me to alter the argument a bit.

Say we agreed on:
1. Security is THEIR (customers') problems, not yours.
2. You are not the Internet's firewall.

That would mean you would still care about:
1. You being able to provide service.
2. Your own network being secure (?)

In a big outbreak, not for the WHOLE Internet, I'd use whatever I can. It can easily become an issue of my network staying alive.

Blocking that one port then might be a viable solution to get a handle on things and calm things down.

Naturally though you are right again, it is a case-by-case issue and can not be discussed in generalities.

Gadi.