Re: zotob - blocking tcp/445

  • From: Scott Weeks
  • Date: Mon Aug 15 16:50:08 2005

----- Original Message Follows -----
From: Saku Ytti <saku+nanog@ytti.fi>
To: nanog list <nanog@merit.edu>
Subject: Re: zotob - blocking tcp/445
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2005 22:22:10 +0300
> On (2005-08-15 18:51 +0000), surfer@mauigateway.com wrote:
>
> > NetBIOS was never meant to be a WAN protocol, so no
> > problem in blocking it.
>
>  I'm not nearly confident enough to decide on behalf of
> almost billion other people how they should benefit from
> the Internet and how not to.

I'm not talking about a billion people doing the same thing.
 It's your network, so you don't have to block.  Or, it's
your network, so you can.  Or, it's Gadi's network, so he
can (or not).  Or, it's "several different big ISP's"
networks, so they can block (or not).

"to stop the spread of the worm they now block tcp/445."  It
does work.  I know.  I've done it.  It makes some networks
better netizens as they don't have the money or resources to
control the outbreaks and it's a simple way to keep worms
from attacking the rest of us.

Do what you want it's your network.

     http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc1001.html

     5.  OVERVIEW OF NetBIOS

     NetBIOS was designed for use by groups of PCs, sharing
a broadcast medium.

Old argument, apologies for feeding.

scott