Re: UUNET connectivity in Minneapolis, MN

  • From: James D. Butt
  • Date: Fri Aug 12 07:52:09 2005
  • /m: 28/d:647 spam: 2.64

I certainly understand why utility power goes out and that is the reason why MCI loosing power confuses me. I am pretty sure that someone at MCI also realizes why the blackout happens and how fragile things are.

It is irresponsible for a Tier 1 infrastructure provider to not be able to generate their own and have large chunks of their network fail do to the inability to power it. I bet you every SBC CO in the affected area was still pushing power out to customer prems.

Unless there is some sort of crazy story related to why a service provider could not keep the lights on, this should have not been an issue with proper operations and engineering.

JD