Re: IPv6 Address Planning

  • From: sdb
  • Date: Wed Aug 10 11:54:12 2005

> If you want to ping your customers you should probably use a /126 so
> they can only use the specific address you give them. You need that
> anyway if you want to route a /48 or what have you to them.

Having just done an IPv6 rollout, I went for a block of addresses which I
would use just for p2p links, split it into chunks for peers, customers
etc, then used a /126 for each link.  Seems to work fine and (I think)
seems to be what most people are doing.

> BTW, there is discussion about rethinking /48s for customers in IPv6.
> Thoughts?

The current recommendation for a /48 for any customer (pretty much) does
initially seem to me to be a bit wasteful, though that's perhaps because I
keep thinking in IPv4 terms.  Having said that, I think that perhaps a /48
for home users isn't _really_ necessary.  How many domestic appliances can
you connect to the net :)

StewartB

--
Stewart Bamford (Posting as an individual)
Level3 Snr IP Engineer