Re: /8 end user assignment?

  • From: Joel Jaeggli
  • Date: Fri Aug 05 05:07:26 2005

On Fri, 5 Aug 2005, Andy Davidson wrote:

Christopher L. Morrow wrote:
will the v6 access really be enough to require LB's? or are they there for
other reasons (global lb for content close to customers, regionalized
content) perhaps reasons which would matter 'less' in an initial v6 world
where you were getting the lb's fixed by their vendor? (or finding a
vendor that supports v6 lb?)
I am a keyboard jockey for an international online retailer; I picked our loadbalancer solution[0] because of the things it did other than balancing load per se, including cacheing, tcp and ssl session offloading, and content compression. Yes, you could do much of this with apache/mod_proxy but not 'as well'.

Until such devices support IPv6, to reiterate Steve's point, it's not an option to consider approaching connectivity suppliers with IPv6 enquiries.
LVS which rather a lot of people use for load balancing supports ipv6 and has since 2002

PLB pure load balancer (*BSD) supports ipv6.

Since Redhat Enterprise Server currently meets all of our layer-3 load balancing needs we haven't evaluated other commercial load balancers in about a year.

[0] Redline Networks E|X, now owned by Juniper of Borg.

-a

Joel Jaeggli  	       Unix Consulting 	       joelja@darkwing.uoregon.edu