Re: IOS new architechture will be more vulnerable?

  • From: Saku Ytti
  • Date: Wed Aug 03 06:35:33 2005

On (2005-08-03 06:24 -0400), Joe Maimon wrote:

> But at the same time, now that I think they already are, I will say it's
> not as bad as you probably think it is. Not yet ... because the version
> that makes this an unstoppable critical problem is not out yet.
>
>What exactly does this mean?

 You might want to read lynn-cisco.pdf. This means that today to
exploit heap overflows you need to know the offsets per release, supposedly
tomorrow the offsets will be static per releasese in new (in some terms better)
architecture, which will make exploiting heap overflows much more feasible.

--
  ++ytti