Re: VOIP provider

  • From: Christopher L. Morrow
  • Date: Wed Aug 03 05:24:39 2005

On Wed, 3 Aug 2005, Bill Woodcock wrote:

>     > 3: What protocols should be used for firmware upgrades to ATA
>     > devices? We are thinking HTTPS or SFTP, or HTTP if those aren't
>     > available on selected devices.  I am trying to stay away from TFTP
>     > for security reasons.
>
> What security risk does TFTP pose that isn't also shared by HTTP?

beyond security reasons, there are some performance reasons as well to
skip tftp. There was a decent article in 'network magazine' (editorial I
suppose really) by Louis Mamakos about 6 months ago regarding the
challenges of upgrading a few hundred thousand remote tftp-only devices :(

(thanks to google for the link)

http://tinyurl.com/9e5pd

-Chris