Re: outage/maintenance window opinion

  • From: Jay R. Ashworth
  • Date: Mon Mar 28 12:39:19 2005

On Mon, Mar 28, 2005 at 11:16:47AM -0600, Luke Parrish wrote:
> Maintenance/outage window is 2:00AM to 5:00AM, during the window the router
> we are working on fails and does not come back online until 8:00AM.
>
>  From a outage reporting/documentation standpoint is the outage start time
> 2:00AM or 5:01AM since 5:01AM is when the maintenance window and planned
> outage was over...
>
> My take is that the outage starts when the planned maintenance/outage
> window is over at 5:01AM.

I suspect that this depends rather entirely on the person who is
*looking* at your outage reports.

That is: if you're compiling them only for internal purposes, use
whatever policy you like.  If someone else, like say, NERC, is the
intended audience, then they probably already have an answer to that
question.

My *personal* approach would be to use the end of the window, yes, but
I am not the person you're reporting to.

Cheers,
-- jra

      If you can read this... thank a system administrator.  Or two.  --me