Re: Delegating /24's from a /19

  • From: Pete Templin
  • Date: Wed Mar 16 09:22:04 2005

Robert Bonomi wrote:

OK, what am I missing?

*ASSUMPTION*:
The holder of the /16 _has_ delegated rDNS for the 32 /24s to the /19 owner.

The /19 owner can, on it's nameserver, run an "authoritative" zone for
the /16 -- with _its_ /24s listed explicitly, and a wildcard pointing back to the rDNS nameserver of the /16 owner.

"He who" queries from the outside world will work their way down from the
.arpa zone, to the X.W.in-addr.arpa zone, get referred to the nameserver
at "thiscompany", and get referred to the NS listed for Y.X.W.in-addr.arpa.
which will resolve Z.Y.X.W.in-addr.arpa.
I'm not as versed in DNS protocols as I was in the past (which then didn't compare to some on this list), but won't this cause tons of "lame server" messages that could be eliminated by proper SWIPping?

pt