Re: Am I crazy!?

  • From: Jason Lixfeld
  • Date: Thu Jan 27 15:51:37 2005

On Jan 27, 2005, at 3:01 PM, Jared Mauch wrote:

On Thu, Jan 27, 2005 at 02:51:35PM -0500, Jason Lixfeld wrote:

Good thing this router isn't in production yet, but unless I'm crazy,
Telus is having a bad day:

*>i0.0.0.0 64.201.161.218 100 0 20161 852 i
	It's quite common for providers to advertise default route to
bgp customers.
Agreed, but in this case it's just a matter of BCP. My provider takes a default from Telus. If I wanted to a default from that provider (who is already taking a default from Telus), should best practice be such that the default is sourced from my provider's AS, not Telus'?

	If you don't want it, 1) ask them to change their config
2) filter it
Absolutely. In this case, I hadn't dropped my filters in yet so it stuck out like a sore thumb.

	If you ever get stuck on low memory or having to a
split AS, it may be of value to have default route to hold
things together..
Yup, been there, done that too...

- jared

--