Re: 'Whois protection service'

  • From: Mark Foster
  • Date: Wed Jan 26 23:19:56 2005

On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 Valdis.Kletnieks@vt.edu wrote:

> On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 16:26:00 +1300, Mark Foster said:
>
> > I'm unsure how appropriate it is to post anything more specific in the
> > open forum, but i've never seen this before. Whats the deal with hiding a
> > domain name owners true identity?
>
> Happens all the time..

*snip*

> (They're not *all* bad, evill and black-hat - as far as I can tell, GoDaddy
> provides a similar service - but if you end up calling them because there's a
> problem, they're not at all amused - and take their ire out on the problem user)
>
> Further discussion is probably better done on spam-l@peach.ease.lsoft.com

Thanks to those who've responded both on and off list - it seems the rules
are different on your side of the world. I'll go the other way (as I
usually do) and chase the IPs involved (I usually pursue both out of
curiosity, but had not seen the aforementioned whois output before).

My thanks - can close this thread now before I get moderated. :)

Mark.