Re: Emergency Internet Backbone Provider Maintenance Tonight

  • From: Pekka Savola
  • Date: Mon Jan 24 04:41:35 2005

On Mon, 24 Jan 2005, Wayne E. Bouchard wrote:
Well, the point was made in my office on Friday that the upgrade was
not just snmp or sshd but that they were required to upgrade the core
operating code. This suggests to me that it's something to do with
packets or packet handling, not with services. Which makes me all the
more concerned. Of course, it will probably be something along the
lines of "When reciving a packet with such and such format with some
particular service enabled, the router might reload under specific
conditions" or some such thing that will not affect many people other
than the tier 1s who work their routers way harder than any of us
lilliputians.
Well, the last time an upgrade like this was pushed through was caused by the (BGP) TCP RST spoofing "vulnerability", which was not a big issue at all especially if you had secured your borders properly against spoofing. I really hope it's bigger this time..

--
Pekka Savola "You each name yourselves king, yet the
Netcore Oy kingdom bleeds."