Re: NANOG via RSS

  • From: chip
  • Date: Wed Jan 19 11:38:02 2005

On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 15:55:19 +0100, Jeroen Massar <jeroen@unfix.org> wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-01-19 at 09:11 -0500, Robert E.Seastrom wrote:
> >
> > "Mike Callahan" <mcallahan@bullseyetelecom.net> writes:
> >
> > > By any chance is this list available via xml/rss?
> >
> > There are several email to rss gateway software packages out there; it
> > would be trivial to roll your own.
> >
> > YMMV, but after reading a couple of other mailing lists that were
> > gatewayed to rss, my sense is that RSS is not the right technology for
> > reading NANOG unless one were to create a "first article only" feed.
>
> I am actually wonder if RSS has an advantage at all compared to a
> mailinglist, especially as RSS is a pull mechanism, if there is nothing
> or not a lot happening it will be polling the server a lot of times
> needlessy, thus causing server resources. While of course a mailinglist
> has the overhead of the email headers. But I am quite convinced of the
> idea that a push * 25.000 subscribers is lighter load on the server than
> having a continues pull by those 25.000 subscribers...
>
> Next to that, my mailbox simply shows the articles I have not read and I
> throw out what I did read and can easily reply to what I like to reply
> to. Personally thus RSS has not much value, just like NNTP actually,
> even though NNTP comes quite close to email.
>
> Greets,
>  Jeroen

Try pointing your subscription to Gmail.   Plenty of space to hold a
nice archive.  Quickly Searchable, accessible from anywhere, automatic
threading.  Make a label and matching filter for each
mailing-list...make's thing nice and sorted automatically.  Your Gmail
acc't can be accessed via rss too, so there's that.

--chip
Just my $.02, your mileage may vary,  batteries not included, etc....