Re: panix.com hijacked (VeriSign refuses to help)

  • From: Sean Donelan
  • Date: Sun Jan 16 16:30:52 2005

On Sun, 16 Jan 2005, Alexei Roudnev wrote:
> What happen if someone stole 'aol.com'domain tomorrow?  Or 'microsoft.com'?
> How much damage will be done until this sleeping behemots wake up, set up a
> meeting (in Tuesday I believe - because Monday is a holiday), make any
> decision, open a toicket, pass thru change control and restore domain? 5
> days?

AOL has gamed the system in the past to take over domainnames they wanted
which were inconviently registered by someone else by sending in a e-mail
to transfer the name to AOL.  Despite NSI's assurances, the domain was
changed to AOL in spite of the original registrant's objection.  NSI
said there was nothing they could do.

http://www.internetnews.com/bus-news/article.php/3_143441

On the other hand, when someone made an unauthorized change to AOL's
domain information, NSI reversed the change in a few hours.

http://news.com.com/2100-1023-216813.html?tag=bplst

Other than Panix having a constinuency, unauthorized domain changes is a
old problem the registrar/registry haven't been able to solve in a decade.