Re: fwd: Re: [registrars] Re: panix.com hijacked

  • From: Andrew Brown
  • Date: Sun Jan 16 13:41:47 2005

On Sun, Jan 16, 2005 at 07:21:55PM +0100, Daniel Karrenberg wrote:

>On 16.01 12:46, William Allen Simpson wrote:

presumably they have cached ns records from before the switch in the
com tld zone.

>Following the DNS delegation chain from the root name servers provides
>"new/hijacked" answers at this time. So I assume some operators of caching
>servers now choose to provide data that is inconsistent with the
>authoritative data in the DNS tree. So depending on where you ask, your
>answer may vary.

they're not choosing to do so, they're probably operating ~normally.
try asking them for the ns records for panix.com.  the age should give
you an idea of how long ago they were fetched from *.gtld-servers.net.
they probably got them before the switch, they'll time out soon
enough, and then they'll restart from the "wrong" servers.

--
|-----< "CODE WARRIOR" >-----|
werdna@squooshy.com       * "information is power -- share the wealth."