Re: fixing insecure email infrastructure (was: Re: [eweek article] Window of "anonym

  • From: Eric Brunner-Williams in Portland Maine
  • Date: Fri Jan 14 07:19:34 2005

> The current pretense of "privacy" is nothing more than a convenient
> mechanism for registrars to pad their wallets and evade responsible
> for facilitating abuse.

As an aside, I used a (wicked big) competitor's "privacy" service to
regsiter a domain for a political worker who wanted to whistleblow
but not be identified.

My customer could now use a web log service such as Duncan Black did
under the name of "atrios", and obtain casual (but not subpoena-proof)
data protection (non-publication of customer profile data).

Broadly I agree that "privacy" as a product under contract law is not
a better solution than data protection as a right under human rights.
However, data protection isn't as available to all potential registrants.