RE: Proper authentication model

  • From: Hannigan, Martin
  • Date: Wed Jan 12 10:19:42 2005

Out of band management isn't telnetting from your desktop to
the serial port.

Mgmt and surveillance is the Bellcore standard for out of band.
It means your M/S is not riding your customer or public networks, and
it's physically seperate. Yes, this is the cadillac method, but the
only way to support five nines IMHO.

If you have 3 sites and they're interconnected via an OC3
and the internet, you would also have 2 frame or ppp circuits
seperately connecting the terminal server network. You'd do the
different path, different provider, etc. on these circuits.

The ts' would be connected to the hub. If that failed, or the machine
was DOA, serial port. A TS may have a modem at each site for the
hail mary connection.

> IPv6 is also very useful in providing non-IPv4 management.

I always knew you could get deer meat from a deer.