Re: anycast roots

  • From: Joe Abley
  • Date: Wed Nov 17 10:07:11 2004

On 17 Nov 2004, at 08:37, Elmar K. Bins wrote:

in alternating fashion, but I would assume "jns1" through "jns6" are
just the individual servers of a setup called "hgtld".
I have no idea about Verisign's scheme, but in case anybody notices similar distribution of queries across F root servers, it may help to know that:

xxxNa.f.root-servers.org
xxxNb.f.root-servers.org
xxxNc.f.root-servers.org
etc

are hosts all located at the same site "xxxN". Service is distributed between those hosts at that site in the manner of:

http://www.isc.org/pubs/tn/isc-tn-2004-1.html

Service is distributed between sites in the manner of:

http://www.isc.org/pubs/tn/isc-tn-2003-1.html

I would expect people to see high affinity to a particular site for a particular client, and much lower affinity between individual hosts within a site (but still plenty to allow DNS over TCP to function properly). It will be interesting to see Randy's results.

Today (2004-11-17) the only global nodes are SFO2 and PAO1; all the rest are local nodes (where "global" and "local" are described at <http://www.isc.org/pubs/tn/isc-tn-2003-1.html#anchor2>). Both global nodes live in the same AS.

Joe