Re: Barracuda Networks Spam Firewall

  • From: joe
  • Date: Wed May 19 22:58:57 2004

Folks, If I may offer a humble opinion here before this gets out of hand.

I see many (me included) trying to side step the issue that SMTP is a broken
and insecure protocol for that of electronic messages(ing). I see folks
blacklisting,
RBLing, and other methods in an attempt to fix the issue, which frankly is a
band-aid
to the entire mess. We can sit here and do route statements like
ip route 200.0.0.0 255.0.0.0 127.0.0.1 till were blue in the face and need a
spread sheet
to keep up with the muk, but its only a side step to the problem. Until
either
1: SMTP/ESMTP is fixed so that spoofing cannot occur
or
2: Another method/protocol of email/messaging is adopted
we are only going to keep spinning our wheels so to speak.

I hate just as much as the rest to pay for the garbage of spam, but until
all the MS and AOL
users start using another standard we'll have to keep bandaiding the problem
keep our customers and jobs. We can all agree its a problem, period.

But as always, just my 2Ęs

Joe Blanchard