Re: Barracuda Networks Spam Firewall

  • From: Richard Cox
  • Date: Wed May 19 18:35:15 2004

On 19 May 2004 15:12:29 -0700 James Couzens <jcouzens@6o4.ca> wrote:

|> if URL IP addr is in China then score=100
| I beg to differ Eric A. Hall.
|
| So contrary to what you said, perhaps I should just Null Route all
| email originating from the USA?  ;)

While this is verging off our remit here, I would clarify the point
originally made, which is that if a URL - that is, a URL cited in the
body of a message - points to an IP physically located in China, then
that signals a high probability of the message being spam.

The physical source of the message - which is likely to be in the US
or China - will most probably not be visible to the recipient due to
the use of anonymising proxies and other "zombie" senders - those IPs
are likely to be on "consumer" networks just about anywhere ...

--
Richard Cox