Re: Pay-As-You-Use High-Speed Internet?

  • From: Jonathan M. Slivko
  • Date: Fri May 14 19:28:54 2004

Rob,

What's your cost on managing the bandwidth? You're basically creating on-demand frame circuits, and balancing them is tricky (actually, deciding on an oversubscription ratio is easy, dealing with the customers is the tricky part!) on a low-margin basis. Of course, if you're a BofH or a sales guy, I expect that to be less bothersome than if you're a techie who has to actually talk to the customer when their neighbor takes up their bandwidth. Sometimes I wish I could be a bit more slimey to make paying the bills less painful *sigh*
Actually, our model doesn't allow for oversubscription as it's a committed (meaning you have the bandwidth that you purchased guaranteed to you), dynamic rate.

--
Jonathan M. Slivko
Network Operations Center