Re: WAN transfer rates

  • From: Iljitsch van Beijnum
  • Date: Tue May 11 05:21:13 2004

On 11-mei-04, at 10:24, Jeff Nelson wrote:

I realize that transfer rates across the Internet diminish significantly
with latency, but what's the good answer for someone shrunk down to
<10Mbps when the smallest pipe between them is 100Mbps and latency is
<40ms?

Does anyone have reference to any study done in this area? I'm sure
window tuning can alter this, but I'm interested in average statistics.
The best you can do is transfer a window size per round trip. You can see the window size with tcpdump or one of its cousins, and looking at netstat output will get you somewhere in the neighborhood too. So if your window is 16k and your RTT 25 ms, that's 16k every 25 ms. Or 16 * 1000 / 25 = 640k per second = 640000 * 8 = 5 Mbps.