Re: What percentage of the Internet Traffic is junk?

  • From: Laurence F. Sheldon, Jr.
  • Date: Wed May 05 16:15:09 2004

Jeff Shultz wrote:

So instead of trying to determine what percentage of internet traffic
is junk, why don't we set up categories (I saw someone make a start at
it a couple of messages back) and figure out what percentage of traffic
fits under each category. We can come up with our own opinions as to
which of those categories is junk.
So I guess we would start with stuff that stands as a major category:
e-mail, nntp, ftp, telnet, ssh, web... and then you start doing a lot
of subcategorizations. I imagine it would start looking like a
hierarchical org chart.
I imagine there are places that already produce statistics by protocol,
and I am reluctant to endorse a program that says one protocol is junk
and another is not.

I would prefer (but have no clue as to how to do) a catagorization
that has handles like "business transactions", "student research",
"warehouse transfers", "recreational", and so on until what ever
is left is counted as "junk" or some ephemistically similar term.

--
Requiescas in pace o email

Ex turpi causa non oritur actio

http://members.cox.net/larrysheldon/