Re: Worms versus Bots

  • From: Laurence F. Sheldon, Jr.
  • Date: Tue May 04 19:26:37 2004

Steven M. Bellovin wrote:

However, up to 90% of the users *are* stupid:

Or is it possible there are other explanations?
Don Norman has argued quite eloquently that it's a technology and human factors failure -- see, for example,
http://www.interesting-people.org/archives/interesting-people/200312/msg00105.html
(reprinted from RISKS Digest).

Now, I'm not saying that it's easy to get things like this right, and I've argued loudly against the notion that auto-patching is a sane approach. But if we deny that there's a problem except for "stupid people", we're not likely to find a solution.
That last sentence is the point I was trying to get to.

After all, nearly half the people here are below the average for
intelligence.

--
Requiescas in pace o email

Ex turpi causa non oritur actio