Re: DSL and/or Routing Problems

  • From: jlewis
  • Date: Wed Mar 31 00:11:12 2004

On Tue, 30 Mar 2004, Stewart, William C (Bill), RTSLS wrote:

> > ping did _this_
> Ping is not very informative or accurate.
> If you run a traceroute, which is also not very accurate,

Get the best of both tools and use mtr (assuming unix-like platform).
There are similar tools for windows (pingplotter?).

This thread reminds me of my own DSL, which rides the ILEC's network and
is handed off to $work at the CO as an ATM PVC.  For years, my DSL service
has osciliated from fine (20-30ms ping times) to not good (200-300ms)  to
unusable (>=1000ms ping times).  It seems to work fine for months, then
get bad to really bad for days or weeks at a time.  I've replaced CPE
several times, and even keep 2 totally different brand/model routers at
the house, just in case (so when I call the DSG, I can say "yes, not only
have I power cycled it, I've replaced the router").  I've spent
considerable time on the phone with the ILEC.  Most calls, they claim
there's nothing wrong.  A few times, they've admitted it's a known problem
with the "lt card", not that that means much to me, and resetting it often
makes things better.

 Jon Lewis *jlewis@lewis.org*|  I route
 Atlantic Net                |