Re: Sprint Help

  • From: Leo Bicknell
  • Date: Thu Mar 18 14:23:25 2004

In a message written on Thu, Mar 18, 2004 at 11:08:21AM -0800, Michel Py wrote:
> > Leo Bicknell wrote
> > Your problem is right here:
> > 14 urish-pitts-gw.centrepc.net (67.97.250.166) 100 msec *
> > 100 msec NT in many configs defaults to a TCP Window size
> > of 8k, other NT and Server 2000 default to 16k.
>
> This seems premature as a conclusion to me. If they don't have issues
> with Japan where the best RTT they can get is around 130ms I don't see
> why 100ms would be an issue.

Because these are theoretical maximums.  Very minor other issues
(eg some packet reordering, 5-10ms of jitter, a single lost packet
every now and then) will easily cut this in half.  130ms link at
95% of max (about the best you do on a clean link) would be 59k/sec,
a 100ms link with 10ms jitter would drop to around 50% of max, or
40k/sec, or 33% slower.

I bet setting the windows to 32k on both sides fixes his problem.

--
       Leo Bicknell - bicknell@ufp.org - CCIE 3440
Read TMBG List - tmbg-list-request@tmbg.org, www.tmbg.org