Re: Personal Co-location Registry

  • From: Kelly Setzer
  • Date: Thu Mar 18 11:09:49 2004

On Thu, Mar 18, 2004 at 09:07:31AM -0500, Steven M. Bellovin wrote:

> In message <g3d67ag03k.fsf@sa.vix.com>, Paul Vixie writes:
>
> >> I agree, lack of interactive access to a system prior to a functional OS
> >> being loaded always seemed like a potential problem area to me,
> >> particularly for something based on common PC architecture.
> >
> >http://www.realweasel.com/ is your friend.  (isc has about a dozen of 'em.)
> >

> Realweasel is a great idea if you can afford it -- but the PCI version
> lists for $350, which is as expensive as some used 1U servers on EBay.

Is there an effective alternative?  All the intel "servers" these days
seem to have one of those handy-dandy (note: sarcasm) ethernet ports
variously called "integrated lights-out (ILO)" or "lights-out
management (LOM)", etc.

I am dismayed that intel-based server vendors haven't noticed the
decades-old trend of having serial ports for emergency/remote access.

Kelly