Re: who offers cheap (personal) 1U colo?

  • From: jlewis
  • Date: Sun Mar 14 18:45:09 2004

On Sun, 14 Mar 2004, Christopher L. Morrow wrote:

> There are several blacklists that clearly want more from the ISP than an
> explanation that the offendors are being/were removed... one good example
> is 'spews'.

What do you think spews wants?  My experience with them has been that
that's pretty much the only thing that will satisfy them.  I have had
customer IPs in spews, and got them removed.  "I've" also been collateral
damage (at a consulting client's site), which sucks, but that's the stick
spews wields.  In most cases, that's encouragement enough for a provider
to clean up their network or keep it from becoming a mess.  Sometimes it's
not.

> As was pointed out to me by a co-worker: "Linux is not anymore inherently
> secure than anyother OS." The difference really comes in the
> administration of the pee cee. So, would upgrading joe-random-user to
> Linux really make things better for them? (or us?) That is not clear at
> all at this point.

That's an argument for another list...but the short answer is no, giving
JRU who knows nothing about Linux a default install, especially a popular
one, say Red Hat, is not much, if any, better.  They won't maintain it.
It will be hacked.  At least it probably won't be done with and then
participate in email viruses.

 Jon Lewis *jlewis@lewis.org*|  I route
 Atlantic Net                |