[no subject]

  • From: guy
  • Date: Sun Mar 14 10:56:54 2004

On Sun, 14 Mar 2004, Andrew Dorsett wrote:

> This is a topic I get very soap-boxish about.  I have too many problems
> with providers who don't understand the college student market.  I can
> think of one university who requires students to login through a web
> portal before giving them a routable address.  This is such a waste of
> time for both parties.  Sure it makes tracking down the abusers much
> easier, but is it worth the time and effort to manage?  This is a very
> legitimate idea for public portals in common areas, but not in dorm
rooms.

Andrew,
	Doing this is an effective way to introduce an AUP policy to the
students. Something to the effect of, "By clicking here, you agree not to
do X Y and Z" and other provisions that will not be read by 99.9% of the
students/renters. However, by doing this, if need be at a future time,
shutting off service for AUP violations is much easier.

Guy