Re: wholesalebandwidth.com major sponsor of spammers refuses toaccept email at abuse

  • From: just me
  • Date: Fri Mar 12 13:08:37 2004

On Fri, 12 Mar 2004, Ricardo G Patara wrote:

  On Thu, Mar 11, 2004 at 10:59:01PM -0800, just me wrote:

  | Behind all of LACNIC's 200/8 and Iskimaro, whoever the heck they are!

  I'd say that it is not a wise thing to do, but it is up to you.

  Inside this /8 block there are a lot allocation to important networks
  in our region.
  There is also, users that send spam from these IPs, but I see this all
  the time from IP blocks of all over the world.

It is an effective solution in my specific application, with my set of
users. I have a 100% hit rate with no false positives. I am not
suggesting other folks do the same unless their requirements are also
the same. I certainly wouldn't do this at my day job as
postmaster@sony.com, for example.

  According to some statistics USA is one of the top in the list of
  spammers.
  Do you filter all American blocks in your network? I guess not. You
  wisely filter only some, like this 69.6.0.0/18.

I filter the blocks that I see a 1:0 spam to ham ratio from, wherever
they are located. I also try to aggregate where I can. The LACNIC
blocks were a convenient place to do so.

  Do you filter all Asia blocks? I guess not...

I certainly do filter abuseive asian networks, except for networks
that my users need connectivity to, or networks that I have not seen
abuse from:

http://mrtg.snark.net/blacklist.cgi

I think you'll see that there's no region singled out there. You might
also be forgetting that the reason I singled out the LACNIC blocks, is
that they are the third largest source of unwanted SMTP traffic I see.

I'm sorry if my actions have offended you, because there really is
nothing personal going on here, just pragmatism and a desire to
prevent as much spam as possible from reaching my users.

Matt Ghali
speaking as postmaster@snark.net only

   Flowers on the razor wire/I know you're here/We are few/And far
   between/I was thinking about her skin/Love is a many splintered
   thing/Don't be afraid now/Just walk on in. #include <disclaim.h>