Re: Enterprise Multihoming

  • From: Crist Clark
  • Date: Thu Mar 11 14:36:40 2004

Jay Ford wrote:
[snip]

Many/most of my external connectivity problems are provider-related rather
than circuit-related.  Having two circuits to a single provider doesn't help
when that provider is broken.  I'm not saying that multi-ISP BGP-based
multi-homing is risk-free, but I don't see multi-circuit single-provider as a
viable alternative.
FWIW, I've had almost the exact opposite experience. Almost all of our
connectivity problems have been circuit issues. Two T1s to the same ISP
at one site has saved us from a lot of pain. OTOH, we also do have some
ISP diversity, though we haven't needed it nearly as much as redundant
circuits.

YMMV. HAND.
--
Crist J. Clark                               crist.clark@globalstar.com
Globalstar Communications                                (408) 933-4387