Re: Source address validation (was Re: UUNet Offer New Protection Against DDoS)

  • From: Avleen Vig
  • Date: Sun Mar 07 17:12:09 2004

On Sun, Mar 07, 2004 at 08:48:00PM +0000, Christopher L. Morrow wrote:
> > > actually, it would.  universal uRPF would stop some attacks, and it would
> > > remove a "plan B" option for some attack-flowcharts.  i would *much* rather
> > > play defense without facing this latent weapon available to the offense.
> >
> > I'm agreeing here, okay (yet anoter) example.. smurf attacks. These seem to be
> > non-existent these days so shall we stop disabling 'ip directed-broadcast' on
> > our routers?
>
> smurf attacks are far from 'non-existent' today, however they are not as
> popular as in 1999-2000-2001. In fact netscan.org still shows almost 9k
> networks that are 'broken'.

A few of us tried (like netscan, only more agressively on a weekly
basis) to find and try to get closed, smurf amplifiers in the RIPE
region.
We eventually gave up after closing ~20k, when the last few k refused to
do anything at all.
"My network is just a /30! Who cares, you're only getting TWO replies
back for ONE packet, it's not like the big amplifiers! I'm not going to
fix this!".

To anyone with this attitude: You are an idiot.

--
Avleen Vig
Systems Administrator