Re: Possibly yet another MS mail worm

  • From: Valdis.Kletnieks
  • Date: Mon Mar 01 14:01:54 2004

On Mon, 01 Mar 2004 10:35:05 PST, Henry Linneweh <hrlinneweh@sbcglobal.net>  said:

> Everyday there is a new, news article on this and every day everyone
> panics and eeryday some one says tell the government to make a law, it is time
> to realize that no law is going to do anything for anyone soon. In the past we
> just took care of the problem and we can do the same now by sharing the solutions we
> shared then for FREE.

The basic problem is that for the average ISP, requiring the users to have a
clue and to use secure software is financial suicide. <insert obligatory Randy
Bush reference here>.  Until something happens to change the cost/benefit
ratios, we're stuck with it.  Remember that vendor lock-in is an issue - why
should the user spend all the time/money of obtaining new software and learning
how to use it if they're currently not experiencing high amounts of cost/pain?
Many users will write off "I'm only losing 2 or 3 days of work a year due to
virus/worms" and balance that against "Moving to <anything else> would screw
things up for 2 weeks while I relearn and reconfigure", and decide it's not
worth changing...