RE: Measured Internet good v. "bad" traffic

  • From: JC Dill
  • Date: Fri Aug 29 12:03:09 2003

At 02:45 AM 8/28/2003, David Schwartz wrote:

> No that wouldnt work, that was be an analogy to non-usage based
> eg I buy a 10Mb port from you and you dont charge me extra for
> unwanted bandwidth across your network..

        The point is that 'usage' is supposed to be 'what you use', not what
somebody else uses. 'My' traffic is the traffic I want, not the traffic you
try to give me that I don't want.
An Internet-connected line is like an 800 phone line. You get connected, you "advertise" your presence, you have no control over who calls, you pay the bill for the incoming calls. That's just *how it is*.

jc