Re: Fun new policy at AOL

  • From: John Palmer
  • Date: Thu Aug 28 11:07:22 2003

> SMTP & DNS should be run through the servers provided by the ISP for
> the exact purpose.  There is no valid reason for a dialup customer to
                                              ^^^^^   OH YES THERE IS !!!!
(at least to a different resolver other than yours)

> go direct to root-servers.net and there is no reason why a dialup user
> should be sending mail directly to AOL, or any mail server for that
> matter (besides their host ISP)
>
> -Matt

Except for the fact the your DNS server may be using a root cache file that
points to the restrictive USG root network that is currently controlled by a
a corrupt monopoly.

What about customers who want to use ORSC or Pacificroot? There are about
11,000 TLDs out there and you want to limit your customers to have to suffer
under the current totalitarian dictatorship? I wouldn't ever be a customer of your's.