Re: Cross-country shipping of large network/computer gear?

  • From: Mark Radabaugh
  • Date: Wed Aug 27 21:55:00 2003

> I was wondering if anyone could provide any advice or suggestions on
> shipping heavy/bulky equipment (~300 pounds, about a half-rack worth of
> gear) on short notice cross-country?  We're obviously looking to minimize
> cost, but realistically it can't be in transit for more than two days.
Are
> there any companies or methods people would recommend?  Thanks in advance
> for the help.
>
> Thanks again,
> Matt

This probably is too small of a load for this but we have had good luck
moving high value industrial control panels using the special cargo division
of carriers like United Van Lines
(http://www.unitedvanlines.com/spec/highvalue.htm?gid=9).  Basically
standard household moving trucks with crews dedicated to moving high value
electronics, exhibits, art, etc. around the country.    With a 2 person crew
in the truck you can go a hell of a long ways in 2 days though the cost may
not be exactly pretty.

Mark Radabaugh
Amplex
(419) 720-3635