Re: Lazy Engineers and Viable Excuses

  • From: Iljitsch van Beijnum
  • Date: Tue Aug 26 04:52:47 2003

On dinsdag, aug 26, 2003, at 00:22 Europe/Amsterdam, Danny McPherson wrote:

If folks want to filter, please, please, PLEASE, employ IRR
infrastructure and filter customers *AND* peers explicitly.
If your vendors have issues with this, push them to fix it.
Then you don't have to worry about bogons, max-prefixes,
route hijacking, de-aggregation, or...

Is it really that hard?
Well, I don't think it's particularly easy. Generating the filters isn't the hard part, but getting them inside routers has always been quite a challenge. But that should be better than it used to be now.

By the way, you don't mention filtering based on routing registry information in your book. (I do mention it in mine but don't explain how to do it as I have never done it myself.)