RE: Navy Marine Corps Internet hit

  • From: McBurnett, Jim
  • Date: Wed Aug 20 07:38:35 2003

On Tue, 19 Aug 2003, Scott Weeks wrote:
-> on the .pif, .scr, etc. attachments...)  Maybe I was just lucky.  Most
-> likely, though, they did not create "security zones" to keep problems
-> contained within certain network segments and not let them out to destroy
-> other networks.

-Luck is very important.

-Like most other people I have no knowledge about how the Navy Marine
-Internet works, but that won't stop me from commenting.

-It sounds like a "turnkey" operation, with EDS managing everything.  They
-may have 100,000 users with identical configurations (software, patch
-levels, etc) in one big flat network.  A large homogeneous population is
-vulnerable to a common infection.  Nachia has a very effecient scanning
-and infection process, particularly if your entire network uses RFC1918
-address space internally.

As a former Marine, and IT support staff member..
The Military uses REAL WORLD IP's on ALL systems.
I won't mention IP's. BUT they have all RW on every system.
Not quite a flat net either...
It is rather a unique system, to say the least.....