Re: Battery lifetimes RE: East Coast outage?

  • From: Chris Adams
  • Date: Fri Aug 15 11:39:55 2003

Once upon a time, David Lesher <wb8foz@nrk.com> said:
> But all those SONET hubs in basements, SLC's in the burbs and such
> -- they don't have generators. They have X hours of batteries. In
> the fine print, it says the LEC will have a portable generator
> on site before they die.

We've got BellSouth and KMC in our POP.  BellSouth has batteries
(because they were already there); KMC does not, but they are on our
UPS.  Both are covered by our generator.

All of the outside cabinets I've seen BellSouth install around town
(Huntsville, AL; BellSouth appears to be working hard to get all copper
lines out of the COs so lots of remote fiber cabinets) in recent years
have included a natural gas hookup, which I'm assuming is for an
internal generator.  We haven't had an extended power failure here in
several years, so I don't know for sure, but it looks like BellSouth has
their network prepared for long term power outages (as long as the NG
supply keeps going).

--
Chris Adams <cmadams@hiwaay.net>