Re: MPLS ICMP Extensions

  • From: Leo Bicknell
  • Date: Thu Aug 14 14:41:45 2003

In a message written on Thu, Aug 14, 2003 at 01:21:28PM -0500, Mike Bernico wrote:
> Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought that the extended MPLS info only showed
> up when the trace was started on a PE or P router. Is that right?

I did the traceroute from a router with _NO_ mpls commands turned on,
and it's on a network that uses _NO_ mpls today.

Basically from reading the draft if the router that generates the ICMP
unreachable received the packet with an MPLS label, it adds the MPLS
info to the returned data.  As long as your traceroute can parse/show
it (so far I've only confirmed Juniper can do it), it will be displayed
to the world.

--
       Leo Bicknell - bicknell@ufp.org - CCIE 3440
Read TMBG List - tmbg-list-request@tmbg.org, www.tmbg.org