Re: How much longer..

  • From: Shawn Morris
  • Date: Thu Aug 14 11:11:29 2003

On Thu, Aug 14, 2003 at 02:17:08PM +0100, variable@ednet.co.uk wrote:

> On Thu, 14 Aug 2003, St. Clair, James wrote:
>
> > Cars did not become more popular because owners had to learn how to swap
> > more parts.
>
> The good ole "computers as cars" metaphor.  In the UK:
>
> 1) In order to drive a car, you have to have a license.
                 ^^^^^

Yes, I have to understand how to operate a car.  I don't need to know
how to change my oil.  Also, at least in the United States one must have
a very limited understanding of driving.  There is no real testing of
driving in anything other than normal condititions.

> 2) In order to have the car on the road, you have to have it taxed and
> have a qualified mechanic certify it for basic road worthiness.

That may be the case in the UK, but I can assure you in Illinois it is
not.  Take a drive on the Dan Ryan Expressway sometime and you will see
cars with bumpers and fenders held on with rope.

--
Shawn Morris