Re: RPC errors

  • From: Sean Donelan
  • Date: Mon Aug 11 16:21:46 2003

On Mon, 11 Aug 2003, Jack Bates wrote:
> I'm showing signs of an RPC sweep across one of my networks that's
> killing some XP machines (only XP confirmed). How wide spread is this at
> this time. Also, does anyone know if this is just generating a DOS
> symptom or if I should be looking for backdoors in these client systems?

http://isc.sans.org/diary.html?date=2003-08-11
The worm uses the RPC DCOM vulnerability to propagate. One it finds a
vulnerable system, it will spawn a shell and use it to download the actual
worm via tftp.

The name of the binary is msblast.exe. It is packed with UPX and will self
extract. The size of the binary is about 11kByte unpacked, and 6kBytes
packed: