Re: Latency generator?

  • From: Kevin Oberman
  • Date: Wed Jun 25 13:03:39 2003

> From: "Temkin, David" <temkin@sig.com>
> Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2003 12:48:29 -0400
> Sender: owner-nanog@merit.edu
>
> Does anyone know of any free, cheap, or potentially rentable latency
> generators?  Ideally I'd like something that just sits between two ethernet
> devices to induce layer 2/3 latency in traffic, but am open to any
> options...

dummynet(4)? It's a standard part of FreeBSD and may be in other BSDs.
It's very configurable to generate delays, congestion like behavior
and such.

NAME
     dummynet - traffic shaper, bandwidth manager and delay emulator

DESCRIPTION
     dummynet is a system facility that permits the control of traffic going
     through the various network interfaces, by applying bandwidth and queue
     size limitations, implementing different scheduling and queue management
     policies, and emulating delays and losses.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)