RE: Rescheduled: P2P file sharing national security and personal security risks

  • From: McBurnett, Jim
  • Date: Sat Jun 14 12:10:05 2003

HMMM...
Well, in the US, there is even the threat of lawsuit from an Employee that
get pornographic SPAM email... should the employer not make
efforts to block it, the employee can sue.. BUT it is the same argument..
Do we take the bad with the good? do we allow P2P when it can create security issues?
All this should be regulated by corporations not govermentt..

IE: Every business model is different..
A defense contractor should definately block p2p, but does a computer gaming company need to block it?

The Entire issue goes back to the job description of security professional....
Balancing the operational needs of XYZ vs. the hassle of certain security needs....

That is all this is... Some Senator or Congress member got wind of a "potential"
security issue, and in light of Sept 11, EVERYTHING is being scrutinized...

Anyway..

I've said enuf.....

From: Stephen J. Wilcox
Hmm where do you draw the line.. peer2peer file sharing, MS Networking, SMTP,
telephones, snail mail, visiting foreign countries, meeting people at all.. ?

Seems a bit silly to me to be having the conversation at all, its people who
willingly leak this information not the mechanism used thats at fault

Steve