RE: DNS resolution to Yahoo.

  • From: Patrick W. Gilmore
  • Date: Fri Jun 13 14:40:45 2003

-- On Friday, June 13, 2003 13:18 -0500
-- Ejay Hire <ejay.hire@isdn.net> supposedly wrote:

Yahoo uses akamai technology (bgp path analysis) to determine what
content server is "closest" to a given host and bases its' dns response
on that data.  You could contact Akamai and, explain your network, and
see if they can make the necessary adjustments, or if you are large
enough ask them to drop a couple of servers in your site.  (or they may
want you to send them a BGP feed)
It is a bit more complex that BGP path analysis. :)

But we are happy to work with you to make things faster / better.

Any particular reason you have a problem with multiple answers? We do it intentionally for several reasons (e.g. load balancing and redundancy). It is fully RFC compliant and has been working well for many years now on most of the large web sites on the Internet.

--
TTFN,
patrick