RE: Ettiquette and rules regarding Hijacked ASN's or IP space?

  • From: Terry Baranski
  • Date: Thu Jun 12 08:35:32 2003

> At the moment there is no clear procedure for any ISP to
> follow to even
> get a best guess as to whether an advertisement should be accepted or
> not.

What about requiring that a route appear in an RIR database period?
Maybe that would be a good start.  It's easy enough to do but virtually
no one seems to do it.  We've seen how lengthy The CIDR Report's list of
unregistered (but nonetheless advertised) routes is -- why are these
advertisements being accepted?

This doesn't directly address hijacking, but it seems to me that there's
no reason to spend time looking for old, unused, potentially hijackable
address blocks if just about any ISP out there will accept your
announcements of blocks that aren't even allocated. (Note: I'm not
talking about IANA Reserved space.)